NEWS

Multiple people dead, dozens injured in massive pile-up on Texas highway

By Amanda Woods and Natalie Musumeci

February 11, 2021 | 11:34am | Updated

Baby and pup have a barkin’ good time playing with robotic dog
Video Player is loading.
Play Video

UP NEXT:

Six people were killed and dozens more injured Thursday in a massive pile-up that involved more than 100 vehicles on an icy Texas highway, authorities said.

The crash, which involved cars and 18-wheeler trucks, happened at around 6 a.m. along frigid Interstate 35 in Fort Worth, initially leaving multiple drivers trapped in their vehicles as first responders raced to the scene, officials said.

MORE ON:

CAR CRASHES

Study finds smaller cars may be why crashes injure women more

Pizza delivery worker critically injured in Manhattan crash

Pickup truck driver survives 70-foot fall off exit ramp, shocking video shows

Koala hops behind wheel of car after causing pileup on freeway

“The scene we saw today is one really unlike one probably any of us have ever seen and one we pray to God we will never see again,” Fort Worth Police Deputy Chief Neil Noakes told reporters at a late afternoon press briefing.

“It appears at this point in the investigation that ice [on the road] was a factor” in the cause of the crash, Noakes explained.

Thirty-six people, several with critical injuries, were rushed to local hospitals from the scene, said Matt Zavadsky, a spokesman for MedStar, which provides the ambulance service for the area.

Several people had to be extricated from their mangled cars by firefighters, according to Fort Worth Fire Chief Jim Davis.

Officials later determined that 65 people received medical care at regional hospitals as a result of the wreck.

Three police officers who were on their way to work were injured in the crash, while another officer was hurt while working the scene, said Noakes, noting that none of the wounds were serious.

The crash involved 18-wheelers and more than 100 vehicles.

Forth Worth Fire Department

Zavadsky said that the toll of those injured is expected to climb.

The pile-up prompted a massive police, fire and ambulance response.

Photos of the crash scene showed dozens of semi-trailers, trucks and cars smashed and tangled along the highway.

“It was dark. It was freezing cold. It was raining and freezing,” Zavadsky said in describing the conditions of when the crash occurred.

“There are several first responders who are probably a little sore right now because they actually fell on scene” due to the ice on the road, he said.

Freezing rain and sleet from Winter Storm Shirley had fallen in the area overnight.

The storm posed hazardous road conditions for commuters from Texas to Tennessee and into the mid-Atlantic.

Authorities in Arlington, Texas said Thursday morning that police had responded to 82 crashes mostly on bridges and overpasses on major freeways since 10 p.m. the night before.

The weather conditions also likely caused a 26-car pile-up on State Highway 45 in Austin, Texas Thursday morning, officials said.

4 Me gusta

Si miré en las noticias esta mañana :scream_cat:image

3 Me gusta

Wow, no había visto las fotos, 100 carros no lo entiendo?

2 Me gusta

2 Me gusta

El lunes no me asomo ni a la ventana jajajaja!!!

1 me gusta

Madre de Cristo. Debe ser por el hielo en las carreteras

1 me gusta

Triste en ese accidente perdieron dos hijos unos padres de Santa Barbara Honduras vi la entrevista en YouTube el padre lloraba pero la madre esta muy mal perder dos hijos waooo tiene q ser muy duro uno tenia 21 años y el otro solo 17 años :disappointed_relieved: q triste y dijo el padre de los dos muchachos q habia un primo en el Hospital grave

3 Me gusta

dicen que el culpable fue un borrador yo les tengo miedo a esos borradores por eso cuando estan cerca de mi me les aparto les tengo miedob

1 me gusta

un borrador ? saludos …

1 me gusta

increible…
ayer medio vi el mensaje en el Weather App… y una compañera en Houston también menciono que tendrían muy mal clima…
no están acostumbrados a estas condiciones y en auto es todavía mas difícil …

aqui tambien anunciaron agua nieve para el domingo por la mañana…

1 me gusta

Saludos @Shadow…Que es un borrador?

1 me gusta

Buen día @Dutchess asi le llaman en mi país a las rastras pq las rastras en un accidente borran todo lo q encuentran en las carreteras por eso les llaman borradores :smiley:
Saludos

2 Me gusta

Buen día Virtud si muy triste los padres están esperando q la Embajada de mi país manden los cadaveres
Saludos

1 me gusta

Buen dia Lirio los padres de los muchachos solo son paisanos míos son del mismo país
Saludos

sera el black ice?

1 me gusta

hola Liza si dicen q fue eso
Saludos

1 me gusta

Muy muy peligroso :biohazard: